2007 Community Survey
Key findings of the 2007 Community Survey of Statistics South Africa regarding Phumelela include the following;
- Estimated population of Phumelela at 35 090.
- 63% of the main dwellings of households comprised of a house or a brick structure on a separate stand or yard
- Informal dwellings in informal settlements decreased from 15.7% (Census 2001) to 9.6%.
- 48.2 % of households have access to piped water inside the dwelling which is a significant increase from the 13.9% indicated in the 2001. A further 35.9% of households have access to piped water inside the yard.
- 44.8% of households have access to flush toilets connected to sewerage system which increased from 29.4% in the 2001 Census.
- The percentage of households using electricity for cooking increased from 41.2% (Census 2001) to 67.3% whilst a further 78.1% of households use electricity for lighting.
- 70.9% of households have access to refuse removal by the municipality at least once a week which increased from 60.9% in the 2001 Census.